Monday, August 1, 2011

"Creamy Dreams Impressive"

So while I was walking in the mall (its underground and makes me feel like a mole) I noticed that it's a trend among the younger generation to wear any sort of clothing with English words on them. But not words that necessarily make sense. Nope. Just words. The title of this blog happens to be the most eye catching, but another shirt said something like "celebrate, festival, smile". So of course I wore my shirt "we run things" the next day....hey....when in Rome

I will eventually get a video of the Starcraft channel. These video-game playing guys are actually considered athletes!

I went out to scout ex-pat territory on Saturday. There was one club that had an all black color-scheme and felt very modern and had a black Cadillac parked out front with thumpin subs inside....yup...you guessed it....the American club. I actually managed to spot two black guys at the "WABAR". These bars cater to military foreigners and western ex-pats complete with Bud Light and country music. It was rainy and uneventful, but now at least I know where the spots are.

 

Boy Band of the Day: Infinite: Come Back Again

Notice the number seven in most of the music acts here....its lucky. 4 is an unlucky number. And this is apparently the "dance version" of this song, meaning they music video is just them dancing so that their fans can learn the whole thing. Cool I guess!

 I was told two things Sunday that blew my mind a little:

1. Some of the younger generation has actually debated getting plastic surgery on their eyes. They apparently want to look more "western" and have eyes that are less slanted.....we all want what we don't have right?

2. In Korean years, I am actually 24! Age means wisdom. And looking better at an older age is always a compliment right? Or maybe it just has something to do with their Confuscian Lunar Calendar?  I like my reason better : )

I went to a church just like the one I grew up in--jeans, button downs, and contemporary worship--and I actually recognized some songs so I just sang them in English. Then after worship a guy came up to me and introduced himself. He looked younger than me but was actually older than me by three years...man these Asians and their good-aging. He introduced himself, gave me his phone number, and invited me to his small group. Little problem: Im at the border-line between being the old guy in a younger small group or the baby in an middle aged group. They literally argued over me. Everyone wants a piece of this choco-foreigner. I guess I will have to decide! Here is a video from the special presentation they had:


Notice the Casting Crowns song:

They even had traditional drummers, Tae Kwon Do and traditional dances as a part of this service. It was a great Asian triple threat!

I went to coffee with the older group because my friend and co-worker Jeremy had invited me to church and he was in that group...and can translate. We had coffee at "Sleepless in Seattle" (a coffee-shop chain here...lovin the westernization) and a majority of the conversation that day was deciding on a Korean name for me! I was even invited to be a part of a language-exchange because one of the group members actually lives close to my apt. Fluent in Korean? Yes please : )

At the bored stage. More later.

Keepin it classy? You better be San Diego

~CP

1 comment:

  1. The eye surgery thing is hugely popular and common in Korea. Many parents pay for it as a high school graduation gift for their kids.

    How's Charlie? And how was your first day of teaching?

    ReplyDelete