Wednesday, July 27, 2011

"Annyongha-say what?"

So I've done it. After months of talking about it and debating with myself and driving my friends and family up the wall due to chronic indecision--or my insatiable desire to be the center of a conversation (which one it is I haven't decided yet). It's a little past 1 am here. I'm jet-lagged after the plane ride and some awesome in-flight Korean movies. Check out the movies "Heartbeat" (the Korean version of John Q) and "Meet the In-Laws" (aka Meet the Parents). 

I caved and started a blog. Who knows how long I will actually keep it up. Please excuse the bland context of this first post. I am in no mood for creative juices to be flowing....26 hours of being awake does that to you. But I might have lots of free time on my hands. I have a phone that calls internationally for next to nothing and WIFI. OH! And a cat named Charlie who is deathly afraid of me as of right now, but that's just a couple of bags of catnip away from being friends.

I live on the east side of Daegu. About a 25 min metro ride away from downtown and the ex-pat hang outs. I don't work weekends and my days start at 2pm and end at 10pm....so far so good. I actually live in a multi-room apartment by myself...and the cat Charlie of course. The bathroom is a room itself but SURPRISE no sink. Guess Im cleaning the pearly whites in the kitchen every morning.

I heard that I wont get much of a Christmas break (sorry Luther, lets plan later) but I will get 3 days plus a weekend for something like a Korean thanksgiving and about a week for the Lunar holiday off in January. Japan is only a few hours away by TRAIN (underwater apparently?!?!) and Seoul is the same in the opposite direction. I plan on getting a tailor-made suit while I'm here.

I had my first dinner with my boss tonight. I managed to spill only one plate and did so with copious amounts of bowing and Kor-englishing some sorrys afterward. I love the food though. Lots of vegetables and kimchi but no gym in sight. Must get insanity mailed to me for bored cold Korean winters.

I look forward to hanging out with the other ex-pats my age on my street and exploring downtown soon since I don't actually teach until August 2nd.

I HAVE MADE A GRAVE ERROR..............I have misplaced my Olympus USB chord that connects to my computer....so no pic downloading for now....I'll send you the address as soon as I get it!

Stay classy San Diego,

~CP

3 comments:

  1. Haha, no it's not by train to Japan. It's either by boat (hydrofoil) or plane from Busan. I flew and we were in the air maybe half an hour. Still worth going, even if it's not on an underwater train!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://thisislifeorsoithink.blogspot.com/

    We can blog together. Hope you are safe world traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I love this. So proud of you. You know I love my blog (booksandbowelmovements.wordpress.com) and that I'm going to nag you constantly until you update.

    Was at the gynecologist this morning when you called, figured you didn't want much vagina talk.

    <3 you, can't wait to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete